StatCounter

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The cleanup and publicization of a formerly private brainstorm. This title sounds like gibberish.

So when you've come this far and found so many things to whine about throughout your educational journey, you'd probably end up wanting to at least attempt to lend a hand at fixing some of these problems. Now that I'm about to enter college, I've been looking at ways to integrate the spirit of this blog into my career, whether this occurs in my future job or a side project. To start, here's a cleaner, more professional version of a private outline I made explaining the most prominent general problems I've observed throughout high school and want to help solve, mainly revolving around a theme of initiative and talent. (These observations are NOT necessarily factually correct, if it's even possible for them to be.) If you're reading this, it's probably because I asked you to, so feel free to shoot me any suggestions.


  • Before I state this observation, let's set a definition: "Type 1" initiative = initiative taken in an activity that exists within an institution such as a school or a community organization, and "Type 2" initiative = initiation of an activity outside of an institution. From my observation, Type 1 initiative is encouraged more, and in the long run it is rewarded and publicized more than Type 2 initiative until a Type 2 project becomes very successful on its own. But obviously, it's not easy to attain that level of success without the kind of support structure that automatically comes with a preexisting activity/group that is connected to an institution.
  • It may be easy to simply ask anyone for help in developing an idea, but it isn't always easy to find the perfect resources or collaborators, especially if one lacks an aforementioned support structure. Imagine if it were as easy as an internet search to find mentors, collaborators, or even advice--yet Google usually does not do a good job at this. The fear of starting something by oneself due to the difficulty of finding help is a major deterrent of starting anything at all. If I ever made a startup, it would be a website where one could outline any kind of project, seek help, and build a group of people to fall back on. If you know of anything like this that already exists, tell me. I know there's Craiglist and Github but there should be something tailored to ideas, and ideas in GENERAL. Generality isn't always a bad thing.
  • People are often judged too much on what they've done in the past, or who they were, rather than what they're trying to get done, or who they are now. And I'm not talking about murderers on Death Row or anything. That's another story.
  • Families, schools, and even after school programs and summer camps sometimes take too much control over young children in the assumption that they can't think for themselves. To an extent, it's true that kids can't make the smartest decisions alone, but sometimes they are barred from making basic decisions that affect their own lives (such as choosing between signing up for piano lessons or dance lessons). Many children are indirectly taught that their opinions and requests are insignificant. Adults often doubt young peoples' creativity and insight.
As you could probably tell, I'm interested in encouraging expression and inventiveness and making every drop of it count in all types of people. I don't know if I'll ever be able to apply my major in statistics to this vision, but it's important to me either way, and it would be cool if I could utilize technology to help give a lift to people with talent and imagination. But anyway...it's so up in the air right now. This is just the beginning of me doing stuff with my life for once. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment